Thursday, April 5, 2007

This is where it all begins

Hello there,

My nieces blog. So being an Auntie and wanting to be up with the times I chose to create something new with my "stamp" on it. So this is where I will begin my journey.

I am a 52 year old college student (non traditional) and I love to write. I am currently unemployed so this will be a creative outlet until I find something.

I am proud to tell that I am a baby -boomer! There sure are enough of us around these days so I am sure many will be able to relate to what I will be talking about as I get this little endeavor underway.

I have two grown sons and three grandchildren. They live quite a distance from me so I don't get to see them as often as I would like to. They are country boys and I am proud of what they have accomplished in their lives so far.

I have recently split from someone whom I thought was "the one". Ah yes, November 19th will never be the same again. It was when my perfect world came crashing down around me. You see, Mark and I had been on again off again for 4 years and then we were exclusive for the remaining 2 years. So six years of my life were wasted.
I should not say wasted. We did everything together, camping, biking, hiking, traveling, canoeing and skiing. We even did things around the house too. He was pleased that I knew which end of the screwdriver did the work. We also had great intellectual conversations.

We met while at a dance club. You see, we both were heavy into country line dancing and couples dancing. Yep, that is where we met and that was our first common bond. As time went on with this man, who by the way is now 54, he just could not commit. We split briefly for five months 2 years ago and I had written him off. He contacted me and guess what? Back on again! Only this time he felt he was ready to commit. My instinct told me not to trust him but my heart won out. Oh well. I still teach line dancing and in spite of me still missing him after this much time, I will eventually find someone who is not afraid of commitment.

Enough of relationship stuff. I just had the need to get rid of that feeling. I still miss him from time to time.

So, I am located out in the western part of Massachusetts and it is quite beautiful out here. So much like NH where I just moved from. The area is surrounded by farms and is very rural. The town itself that I am in is a college town and very eclectic. The people here are very nice and definitely diverse. I see plenty of people while I am out walking my dog and they for the most part are friendly.

Let me tell you about my dog. His name is Andy and he is a Chihuahua mix( my twin sister and I believe he is a Chihuahua/Corgi mix). I got him from a rescue service and he has been great therapy for me. I have always had a dog or two, or five in my life with the exception of when I was with Mark. ( this should have been my first clue it would not work) Andy has been a great source of entertainment for me and a great companion with UNCONDITIONAL love.

Andy has a problem. He thinks in his little head that he is 10 feet tall and bullet (or in his case tooth ) proof. If we are out walking and he sees another dog he just totally loses it. I mean he goes instantly into instinct mode and blocks everything else out. In his mind he is being the great big protector of me against the enemy. Little does he realize, that dog across the street could probably mop the street up with him. None the less, Andy continues to be "bossy" with other dogs. God help me if he sees a cat!

Speaking of cats, Andy and I went to visit my Mom. She has a cat that is very old but from what I saw, very able to mop the floor up with the dog. Mickey, my Mom's cat is just a little bigger than Andy. Mickey is (or so I always thought) a very gentle soul. The first time Mickey saw Andy the cat totally did the ten feet tall and bullet proof thing. Needless to say, Andy and Mickey will not be in the same room ever again.

There was only one other time I saw a cat do that and it was back when I was living in Maine. A friend of mine had a Great Dane and this dog went snooping where she should not have and my cat chased that big Great Dane all the way down our road. I never saw such a large dog move so fast. It was great!

Well, I must get doing my school work now. I will come back to this site every day in between my homework, searching for a job and the line dance classes I teach. Til then, tata!

2 comments:

Sahara Jo said...

Hey,
I am a babyboomer too! I can relate to your comments about men and pets. Don't ever fall for a guy who does not like dogs! Did you ever see that movie, "Must Love Dogs"?

Line Dance Teacher said...

Martha,

Yes I saw that movie and it was a riot. I have a friend that told me that pet people are the best. Who knew. : )

I think my ex didn't like dogs because he never had one. Maybe he would have been different if he had?